Ten Ways to Make a Good Impression
Q: I am starting an internship soon. How do I make a good impression?
A: Here are ten ways to make a positive lasting impression:
- Introduce yourself to everyone with a smile and firm handshake (a wimpy handshake indicates a lack of confidence).
- Show enthusiasm. What can it hurt?
- Ask questions in order to develop a solid understanding of the organization. Make it apparent that you care about the organization (think like a long-term employee).
- Be punctual! It is important your co-workers view you as a dependable worker.
- Follow all rules and regulations.
- Dress like a professional. Develop a clear understanding of what is and what is not acceptable attire.
- Act like a professional. Do NOT gossip and ALWAYS remain positive.
- Listen to directions and follow them well.
- Be a problem-solver. Ask for advice and clarification when needed, but when applicable, do your best to solve your own problems before going to someone else.
- Report your progress to your supervisor. Set aside a time each week to discuss your goals and accomplishments.